Sedation Dentistry Near Me: Overcoming Dental Anxiety. What are my options for completing needed dental treatment and teeth cleanings in Lincoln, NE with anxiety?
Many people are afraid of going to the dentist. We understand that it can be intimidating, especially if you haven’t been in a while. In Lincoln, NE at Nebraska Family Dentistry, we work with anxious patients often. A sedation dentist at any one of our locations wants you to know that you don’t need to feel embarrassed. “Sedation dentistry near me” is one of many options that can be used to help you feel calm and comfortable while completing necessary cleanings or treatment.
So, if you have feelings of shame or guilt, don’t. It isn’t necessary! A sedation dentist in Lincoln, NE at Nebraska Family Dentistry will make sure you have a judgment-free experience all while receiving the best in dental care. When we hire, we look for the most gentle, caring dentists in the industry. Thus, leaving you feeling safe and well cared for.
Avoiding the dentist is common, but can be costly…
Many anxious patients avoid the dentist for extended periods of time. While this is common and we don’t want anyone to feel bad about it, we also understand the cost. It’s important to have dental visits regularly to keep your teeth clean and healthy. This leads to better overall health in the long run.
Letting fear get the best of you can have a significant impact on your overall health. This is why the team at Nebraska Family Dentistry in Lincoln, NE is dedicated to helping you feel safe and comfortable. We know the importance of oral health and we want to help you get the care you need. Our patients feel great when they’re able to overcome dental anxiety and get the care they need. You will too!
What is sedation dentistry? Is oral sedation near me available?
Any sedation dentist at Nebraska Family Dentistry can use sedation dentistry to put patients in a sleep-like state. This will allow you to stay calm and relaxed throughout any procedure. Typically, it is used for lengthier procedures and comes in the form of a pill.
Sedation Dentistry Pill
Oral sedation dentistry near me uses a mild anti-anxiety pill or a mild sleeping pill. This will put patients into a drowsy, but awake state. Most of the time, patients don’t remember their procedure, although they can move and respond while the procedure is happening.
What is oral conscious sedation?
Oral conscious sedation helps you relax, and it helps minimize discomfort during your dental procedure. Oral conscious sedation produces a light to moderate effect depending upon the patient and the type of procedure being performed. Oral sedation is offered in pill form and is taken before arriving at the dental office for your procedure. Conscious sedation can create mild lethargy or sluggishness. When using oral sedation, the level of consciousness can be maintained for patient safety, but it offers a relaxed state and effectively blocks discomfort. Your dentist will determine the amount of sedative you will take and the timing for taking them. With oral conscious sedation, you will recover quickly and be able to return to your everyday activities soon after your dental treatment.
What does sedation dentistry look like at our office?
For many patients, the dentist is someone they avoid at all costs. Unfortunately, this avoidance can lead to many dental problems such as infection, periodontal (gum) disease, and cavities. In addition to dental concerns, avoiding the dentist can also lead to concerns regarding your overall health. For example, there is a direct correlation between gum disease and heart disease because of the infection and bacteria present in patients with gum disease.
So, instead of letting your fears keep you from receiving the dental treatment you need, you should ask one of our friendly dental professionals about sedation dentistry. With sedation dentistry, you will be able to sit back and relax while we take great care of you. Generally, sedation dentistry is indicated for lengthy procedures. This way you can accomplish more dental work at once.
Who benefits from oral sedation at the dentist?
Sedation dentistry can be used for any procedure but as noted before is great for complete a large amount of dental work at a longer appointment. If you have one of the following situations, you might be a good candidate for sedation dentistry:
• Dental anxiety or phobia when visiting the dentist
• Dental work that will be invasive or long
• Teeth that have extreme sensitivity
• Strong gag reflex
• Needle phobia
To determine whether or not you would be a good candidate for sedation dentistry, contact a location near you for a consultation today.
Watch the “What is Sedation Dentistry?” Video
Sedation Dentistry: Gentle Injection Technique
When we use our special injection method on patients, we start by applying a topical anesthetic to numb the area. Then, we perform a small injection. That’s it! After that, you’ll be set for your appointment.
Still, have questions? We’re here to help!
Here are a few commonly asked questions that we feel might benefit you.
- Types of medication used for oral sedation dentistry near me? There are various types of medication that can be used for oral sedation during dentistry. Typically, a class of medications called Benzodiazepines is used, in pill form, to create a relaxed state, so that patients are able to get necessary dental treatment. Examples of Benzodiazepines include diazepam, lorazepam, and triazolam (also called Halcion). Triazolam, or Halcion, is used at all dental clinics of Nebraska Family Dentistry. Triazolam has been proven very safe and effective and by using it, patients are able to receive much-needed dental treatment. Whether you’ve had a bad past experience at the dentist, have anxiety, or maybe you’re just not a fan of the dentist, do know that you have options. If you feel you might benefit from “oral sedation dentistry near me,” speak to one of our dental professionals and they can assess whether or not it’s right for you.
- Does oral sedation dentistry at the dentist really work? Absolutely! Oral sedation dentistry is a very effective and safe method of helping calm anxious patients so that they are able to complete necessary dental work. Although you are still awake and able to function, your experience at the dentist will be less eventful than in the past. You likely won’t remember a thing and for those of you who have had negative past experiences or experience anxiety, sedation dentistry could benefit you.
- What does oral sedation at the dentist feel like? Oral sedation, or sedation dentistry, will have you feeling relaxed before you even get in the dental chair. One thing that is important to note with sedation dentistry, is that you will need to have someone drive you to and from your appointment. Because some people can experience temporary amnesia (loss of memory) and drowsiness, the dentists at Nebraska Family Dentistry want to make sure you remain safe while under our care. Overall, most patients report feeling very relaxed and calm with some drowsiness. Even though you aren’t fully “asleep” as with other forms of sedation/anesthesia, sedation dentistry will absolutely help you get the dental treatment you need.
- How long does dental oral sedation last? The length of time that oral sedation lasts does vary from person to person. The half-life of Triazolam, or the amount of time it takes to decrease in the body by half, is roughly 1.5 to 5.5 hours. With that being said, if you opt to have oral sedation dentistry, you should plan to take the remainder of the day off of work. Some patients report feeling great when they leave the office and feel as though they could work and others have reported feeling very sleepy. Again, because we are unable to determine how you will feel, we recommend postponing your return to work until the following day.
Your Gentle Dentists in Lincoln, NE
Our Lincoln, NE dentists pride themselves in gentle dental care. We are sure you’ll have a good experience at any of our locations.
If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to give us a call at any of our five locations. We would be happy to talk through any concerns you have and help eliminate your fears. We look forward to meeting you!
Looking for Dental Payment Plans?
Nebraska Family Dentistry has multiple Lincoln Dental Clinics!
Choose any location “dentist near me” convenient for you.